Saturday, July 2, 2016

PLN Reflection

I have to admit, I'm very nervous about making my first blog post. I have always been one to seek and gather information, but not to share. After reading Will Richardson and Rob Mancabelli's  Personal Learning Networks (2011), I now understand the importance of how my interaction with others online is a necessity to my professional educational growth. They made it very clear that we must take charge of our own learning. We can't expect our students to become proficient users of technology if we ourselves don't engage in the same practices/expectations we have for them. Education is definitely changing; it's up to teachers to begin the change. We can't sit back and wait for someone to tell us what to do; we need to take the initiative. So, here's the beginning of this new adventure!

There is a plethora of information out there on topics of interest, and that's where learning in networks begins. Since there is a myriad of topics in the digital world, it is important to keep your focus relatively narrowed. You want quality to outweigh quantity. The next step, sharing, is one I would have previously skipped altogether. I did not feel I had much value to add. I have learned that that thought process is all wrong! The real learning comes from sharing. Even if it's reassurance that you are correct, that your idea was good, or if it's constructive criticism, full participation (receiving and disbursing information) is crucial. Sometimes we learn the most from someone else's viewpoint/idea that is different from our own. Now that I am beginning my personal learning network journey, I must also keep a healthy balance.  Richardson and Mancabelli suggests regular reflection as an essential element in maintaining this (2011, p. 37). It's easy to get overwhelmed and consumed with the overabundance of information out there.

Previously, I used to think it was enough to just read about important topics, process the information, and then use that information as I saw fit (mainly keeping it to myself). Through this reading, I have determined that a very important aspect to learning networks is sharing what you learned. I have found a great resource, How Do I Get a PLN, that has aided in my journey to beginning my own PLN. I also found 5 Personal Learning Networks for Educators very informative when creating my RSS Aggregator to begin following blogs and topics that interest me. PLN's are an easy and efficient way to connect with others to ensure our professional growth so we can ultimately produce well-rounded proficient technological users for the future. Personal learning networks make creating and collaborating about our interests possible. Consequently, we become contributors to the ongoing flow of learning (Richardson and Mancabelli, 2011, p. 23). PLN's are not just for teachers, but for students as well. "Learning networks are one of the richest ways for students to collaborate online, whether it is with a student in their class or a teacher halfway around the world" (Richardson and Mancabelli, 2011, p. 31). What a powerful learning tool personal learning networks can be in education!

Reference:

Richardson, W., & Mancabelli, R. (2011). Personal Learning Networks: Using the Power of Connections to Transform Education. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.

5 comments:

  1. RE: “The next step, sharing, is one I would have previously skipped altogether. I did not feel I had much value to add. I have learned that that thought process is all wrong! The real learning comes from sharing.”

    Well said! I hear from teachers all the time that feel that they have nothing important to share. What I know to be true is that everyone has something of value to share! Your thoughts, your teaching experience, and practices are very unique. Sharing your thoughts, ideas, and resources allows others to see things from your perspective. The audience that you share with will naturally compare your perspective to theirs. This comparison can cause them to rethink their ideas. Some will make the comparison and decide that their ideas or practices are better than yours. That is fine. You have at least caused them to evaluate their practices which is always a worthwhile activity. They might, in return to your sharing, share their ideas allowing you to learn from them. Knowledge sharing in this case is valuable because it helps you get feedback and help with your practices from those who may be more skilled or have a different perspective. On the otherhand, others will learn from your perspective and some may even feel that your ideas are truly eye-opening.

    Sharing knowledge returns great karma! The more knowledge you share, the more knowledge is returned to you. It’s always a win/win situation. Sharing helps you grow, keeps you motivated, provides you with feedback. Feedback is a critical part of the learning process. Just as it is beneficial for your students, it also helps you grow by improving your professional practice. Sharing your knowledge with others allows others to see your skill set as a teacher. This often results in others viewing you as an expert which is also a very good thing for your career.

    My advice is to share everything that you do as a teacher! Most of our time spent teaching is behind closed doors in isolation with our students. We might get feedback from admins who visit our classrooms a couple of times of year. Break that pattern and teach out loud using social media! The benefits to your professional growth are very worthwhile.

    Happy sharing and learning!

    Dr. Dell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Dell,

    Thank you for the words of encouragement. While I'm nervous about sharing my thoughts and ideas, I can already see how the positives will outweigh the negatives. You are so right; so much of what we do is behind closed doors in isolation with our students. We need to share what we are doing. With all these electronic tools available now, there really isn't a good excuse for not participating in a PLN. I can see how getting some kind of feedback will make me feel more connected and willing to explore new things. I know I will have a support system and not feel so "alone." I'm really looking forward to this new stage of my professional career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay,

    I completely agree with everything that you shared within your blog. Some of my biggest concerns about my personal continued learning is the lack of technology that I incorporate. While I believe our classrooms are both very geared to integrating technology, we are still learning is the way that we have become accustomed.

    You stated, “I used to think it was enough to just read about important topics, process the information, and then use that information as I saw fit (mainly keeping it to myself)”, and I felt as though this perfectly explained how I felt after my reading. This year especially, I felt as though I was not able to share ideas or, in turn, ask other teachers what strategies they are using that work for them as we are all so spread out in our building. We are on opposite ends of the building, and I feel as though I shared and spoke with you most often because we are both working on this MET together. Perhaps, following each other on Twitter or connecting with blogs would be beneficial for us to connect immediately within our building and with other teachers around the world.

    Finally, I feel like the sharing component is always a struggle for me. There are a couple of reasons why, but I think the biggest factor is time. I just do not take the time to share with my peers unless I speak to them on a regular basis, or I have common goals with the educator. It is never personal, but I feel like sharing is not as valued by some teachers. Often, I run into a teacher that feels like their way is the right way. I guess what I am getting at is that not all teachers want to hear about your newest success. I am so grateful that I have another reading teacher in the building that is as excited to share ideas, try new things, and open is to troubleshooting issues with me. You are a valuable asset to my continued learning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay,
    I was super nervous about blogging too, but we have survived blog #1! I like that you also focused on the idea of quality over quantity when building/adding resources to your PLN. I have been trying to keep that in mind when adding blogs to my Feedly. That being said, the resources you provided are great! They are going to help me on my search. It's interesting that you can find a PLN that is ready-made to use. I think one of the things that resonated with me strongly in the reading was that PLNs are so personalized, so I'm maybe a little skeptical about the ready-made ones, but also encouraged that I can see an example of what a PLN looks like.
    I also liked that you focused on the idea of taking charge of our own learning. In Biology, concepts are constantly changing as more and more research is done. It gets frustrating to me that I got a degree in Biology that has already become outdated. I want to make sure my students are getting the most relevant information, and I think that's what makes PLNs so exciting. I can build a network of experts that keep me informed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that I find Twitter overwhelming! There are so many resources and information there it is easy to get lost into it. Twitter does seem like it is and will be a great tool to keep up with a PLN while keeping busy with the day to day activities of life. I like the idea of Twitter being like a “virtual staff room.” I know as a teacher I have had some of the best learning opportunities by just sitting around and talking with other teachers and having this with teachers throughout the world will give me so many more ideas for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Visualizing Data

The amount of information available to students can be overwhelming at times. The things they learn from their teacher, from other students...